Social Icons

.

30 July 2013

Interview with Dawn Metcalf the author of Indelible



Some things are permanent.

Indelible.

And they cannot be changed back.

Joy Malone learns this the night she sees a stranger with all-black eyes across a crowded room—right before the mystery boy tries to cut out her eye. Instead, the wound accidentally marks her as property of Indelible Ink, and this dangerous mistake thrusts Joy into an incomprehensible world—a world of monsters at the window, glowing girls on the doorstep, and a life that will never be the same.

Now, Joy must pretend to be Ink’s chosen one—his helper, his love, his something for the foreseeable future...and failure to be convincing means a painful death for them both. Swept into a world of monsters, illusion, immortal honor and revenge, Joy discovers that sometimes, there are no mistakes.

Somewhere between reality and myth lies…

THE TWIXT

Thank you Ms.Metcalf  for this interview!


1) How and why have you started to write? Were there something or someone that gave you an impulse?
      I started writing when I could hold a pencil and scribble notes to my parents, so I guess the want to express myself to them was a motivation, but really, it became more about getting all those crazy ideas in my head down on paper!

2) Tell me something about your book Indelible.
     Indelible is my answer to the immortal hottie swooping in to show the 16 year old human the way to her heart as well as having a love interest who isn't a sexually-experienced, arrogant, aloof bad boy. Innocence and exploration can be sexy! Girls can know something about themselves and the world! Basically, it's another one of my books that began with a rant and inspired me with a story all its own.

3) While you're writing, have you discovered a character that you where developing feelings of love for? And was there a character that gave you headaches?
      HAHAHA! Well, I adore Graus Claude, but not in the romantic sense aside from the fact that he is a romanticized character from a bygone era. And Inq--as much as I love her--drove me CRAZY because she clearly wants a book or two all of her own. I spent a lot of time and edits trying to stop her from hogging the spotlight!

4) How have you done your research for this novel?
     I am already a big fan of classic fairy tales from Brothers Grimm to Hans Christian Andersen to Oscar Wilde and the collections of Andrew Lang which included various fairy tales from around the world. Borrowing a lot of old lore as well as my personal favorite myths from my background studies in cultural anthropology made a mish-mash of things that sounded like they could have been true, or an old legend from our world. I think the best fiction often has at least a toehold in fact.

5) Is there a book that inspired your writings?
     Just one? Honestly, I couldn't name *one*...although I have a particular spot in my heart for GNOMES by Rien Poortvliet and Wil Huygen, which I stumbled upon as a kid and I think sparked a lot of my fascination with fairies, art and anthropology.

6) In the end, would you like say some words to your fans from Romania?
     *waves* Do what you love, love what you do & remember: there is no timeline for awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Blogger Templates